Bishop Druitt College – Establishment

Wednesday, 02 Nov 2022

Referring back to the 23 sites investigated; they were spread from Arrawarra in the North to Urunga in the South. Several of the names proposed for the school were; The Anglican Coast School (TACS), TAS Coffs Harbour (TASCH) and Coffs Harbour Anglican Grammar School (CHAGS).

The name Bishop Druitt College was put forward by the interim council to Bishop Bruce Schulz through the Diocesan Registrar (Rev Bruce McAteer) at its December meeting 1991, and was subsequently accepted and adopted in 1992. Note: the Right Reverend Doctor Cecil Henry Druitt , MA, DD (1875-1921) was the first Bishop of Grafton (1914-21) having been Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of Armidale since 1911. In 1914 he preached a sermon in TAS Chapel on Founder’s Day with the text " Faithfulness in Service" the adopted motto for BDC.

The college was incorporated under Anglican Church of Australia and the Foundation Council of Bishop Druitt College was incorporated early in 1992: Reverend Stephen Pullin (Chairperson), Mr Mark Davies (Chair of Finance Committee), Mr Barrie Ross (Chair of Property and Planning Committee), and councillors Archdeacon Richard Hurford (Grafton), Reverend Frank Woodwell (Coffs Harbour), Reverend Neil Edwards (Bellingen) and Reverend Bruce McAteer (Grafton Diocese).

An Executive consisted of Mr Ken Langford-Smith (Headmaster The Armidale School), Mr Bill Ward (Secretary to Council), Rev Malcolm Halford (Head of Primary, Lindisfarne) and Mr Lester Robinson (St John’s Coffs Harbour).

The first half of 1993 saw financial difficulties which were allayed by two benefactors lending money for the purchase of land in North Boambee Road.

“The Turning of the First Sod” ceremony was conducted by Bishop Bruce Schultz and later in the year Jennings Constructions (foreman Kerry Wilson) began the first building. The original block consisted of 3 classrooms and an administration centre, a portable classroom from Lindisfarne and a modular toilet block. The Foundation Stone, donated by Mr Keith Logue, was laid on 31 st October 1993.

Next episode: the opening of BDC – Primary School.